Friday, June 08, 2012

Our Family's First Shabbat

Shabbat Shalom!

We decided to have an impromptu Sabbath dinner tonight.  I did a quick internet search and found some of the rituals from a Messianic Jewish site.  It was neat to kick off our first family Sabbath day.  (I'm not too sure how the whole no house work thing will go with three small kids, but I'm hoping we can do it!)
The spread with gluten-free Challah and everything!
We aren't gonna be too legalistic with it, but we are going to try and take a day of rest.  But I think my most favorite part about enjoying the Sabbath is the kick-off meal!

Baby Girl helped me with the challah, and the pie.  That little girl loves to help me out in the kitchen.  And she cleans up well too!  She even washed the table and vacuumed some of the kitchen floor.  It was her first experience removing the kitchen rugs her mama never removes when cleaning the kitchen floor.  She lifted one up and hundreds of crumbs got all over her clean floor!  Sorry, BG- your mama's a slacker!  I did help her clean it up :)

Mims and Bubs also helped David out washing the floor.  Then David and I shared in the rest of meal prep and setting of the table.

The neatest part of the Sabbath rituals for me was blessing the children.  They thought it was great, and Mims had this serene look on her face as if to say "Yes, Dad.  Great call on blessing me with joy and victory.  I see the wisdom in that."  Sweet girl!

We sang the creation song and David told the story of the Israelites' exodus from Egypt.

It was so great to have everything right there and no getting up 20 times during a meal!  Parents of small kids can I get an "Amen"!  The only thing I will change next week is to not have the dessert right next to Bubs.  He asked about 100 times if he could have "bu-nana eye cream" and almost put his nasty fork in it sever times!
Our dessert- get recipe here :)

No comments: